With the increasing sales of Windows 7, most of the companies have now more than 1 Operating Systems in their systems. Like Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7. With all this mix of operating systems, sometimes, it can be hard to find something very easy. I recently had to find out all our Windows 7 computers in our organization to change all the MAK activated Windows 7's to KMS licensing server. Usually, to find out all the computers with some specific configuration, I would use a program like "Spiceworks" or "Windows System Center Essentials". But let's assume that we don't have anything else other than our famous Windows Administration Toolkit. So, to make a good .CSV report with all the Windows 7 clients inside of your organization follow the following instructions;
- Fire up your "Microsoft Management Console" with the "Active Directory" snap-in!
- Explore to the "Organizational Unit" of your client computers in Active Directory
- From the "Menu Bar", click on "View" tab and "Filter Options"
- From the "Filter Options" window, choose to "Create a Personalized Filter" and click on "Personalize" button!
- Now click on "Field" button, "Computer" and choose "Operating System".
- In the "Condition" field, choose the "Exactly Equal" option.
- "Value" field must be the name of your operating system. In my case it's "Windows 7 Professional"
- Click on "OK" button in the 2 windows that are open!
Now, you can explore again to your client computers "Organizational Unit" in Active Directory and you will only see the "Windows 7 Professional" computers. This is because of the "Filter" that we just applied. To delete this filter and see everything in an "Organizational Unit", follow these instructions;
- In the "View" menu, choose "Filter Options"
- Choose "View all type of Objects" and click "OK"
You must be able to see every object in every "Organizational Unit" like before.