Server 2016 - PerfNet Application Error Event ID 2006

Server 2016 is out and although it's still a baby, I've decided to slowly put it in production as a secondary storage/backup server. I was testing on a Dell PowerEdge T320 server with 10GB & 1GB nics and other than some iscsi configuration, everything else was at default settings on the system. Please note that this is a physical machine and not a VM!

Server 2016 is great and I have to admit, the experience has been really good so far... I'm sharing one of the difficult issues I had during my tests;

Problem;


When I change the IP address of any nic, the system freezes as soon as I click OK button. Anything regarding network connections or system settings change would act really funny (unexpectedly) on the system. A lot of reboots!!! After applying all updates & drivers, still the system wasn't stable at all.

I found in the event log this error;

Error         :     Application
Source      :     Perfnet
Event ID   :     2006

Error Description;
Unable to read Server Queue performance data from the Server service. The first four bytes (DWORD) of the Data section contains the status code, the second four bytes contains the IOSB.Status and the next four bytes contains the IOSB.Information.


If you already look up other blogs, they all suggest that there is a 32bit application trying to query server performance counters with WMI?! (See https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/768d88f4-1742-494a-bfc4-a4bf9e228a67/unable-to-read-server-queue-performance-data-from-the-server-service?forum=winservergen)

Solution : 


Stop the Performance Counters on the server;

Go to Server Manager, choose "Local Server", scroll down to "Performance" and right click on the server and choose "Stop Performance Counters"

Unfortunately, this is the solution that worked the best for me. Now the OS is stable and I can do any changes without an issue.

Even though my system was a Server 2016, I believe this solution may apply to all previous versions up until Server 2008.


Enjoy... 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

System.Messaging.MessageQueueException (0x80004005): A workgroup installation computer does not support the operation (Public Queue create issue)

Veeam Backup Error : Failed to prepare guest for hot backup. Error: VSSControl

warning: Win32API is deprecated after Ruby 1.9.1; use fiddle directly instead - Chef Development Kit Update